Thursday, November 23, 2006

The underwear trial at Eastbourne

I’m running out of socks…..

I think the story I’m about to write verges on innapropriate in the sense that I’m about to discuss the topic of underwear. However, I ask that you read this with an open mind….I’m not about to tell you how often I change my underwear or discuss ‘going commando’.

Over the weekend I worked at Youthwork the conference in Eastbourne (lovely little place). It’s right on the bottom (bottom!! Ha….) of the country. For one whole weekend the little city of Eastbourne was engulfed by Youthworkers (that’s a scary thought when you think about your own expereince of youthworkers). I have to say that some youthworkers struggled without any kids being there. I suppose it’s a bit like a drug addict going without drugs for a weekend… They shake, they sweat…. So, as you can imagine Eastbourne was quite a sight. The basic outline of the event is for Youthworkers to congregate and discuss new methods of doing youthwork. My job was to steward which, involved guiding, smiling and engaging….Things I enjoy doing. One South African guy actually told me I was a fantastic steward.

What was also nice was that I got to leave my institutional home for the weekend. We were booked in at the Carlton Hotel, easily identified by it’s pink exterior. It wasn’t five star but I was just glad for a room with a carpet and a shower….The shower was heaven sent. If you weren’t aware, I don’t have a shower in my ex health centre home. As a steward at Eastbourne we were well looked after. We had backstage passess where the lounge was constantly filled with food and drinks to keep our energy levels up. In the morning we got croissants and in the evening £10 vouchers to eat wherever we wanted in Eastbourne…. I think we deserved it considering a steward works three 15 hour days. As I write this I’m very tired mainly because I didn’t get a break at the weekend…Although, however tired there is always something to keep you smiling at Church.co.uk. Whether it’s the ten toddlers who attend Hullabaloo on Thursday mornings or the kids at football group….sometimes a latte from the coffee shop provides a nice kick. On most days I’m motivated by the team around me. Always laughing, always joking….. Although having my accent copied has ceased to be humerous.

Okay, so I was in Eastbourne…. It first struck me on arrival at Eastbourne train station that I’d forgot to bring a change of boxers and socks….. Oh oh I though to myself. As a steward (face of the conference) you need to look fresh and clean. Clean underwear only helps to set you up for the day. I decided that I would clean my underwear each night and let it dry on the radiator over night so it would be ready for the morning. First night came, washed my stuff in the sink… and in the morning they were fresh and dry. I remember thinking that I might never take spare underwear away with me again… Cleaning in the sink was the way forward.

The second night came and I started the process of cleaning….Running the hot water, adding soap….Then I heard the football on the TV and I ran out the bathroom to catch Match of the Day. Sam my room-mate came in at the end of the football and we chatted for a while before going to sleep. Now, had Sam gone to the toilet before he went to his bed what happened might not have happened. I remember us having a discussion about bladder control and Sam saying that he could need the toilet before bed but keep it in until the morning (potentially dangerous if you ask me, potential for accidents!!). Because Sam or I never went to the toilet after I had put my underwear in the sink I woke to find them still happily floating in the now grubby water. Rubbish! I thought as visions of a day with wet underwear on flashed through my head…. Luckily my team mates were able to lend me some spares they had brought with them. Clean brown socks from James..... and nice pink nickers from Karin...........!

(Just for those who have slight concerns about me, i was joking about the nickers thing....!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone find this man a competent, organised woman - and marry them immediately!

That Hideous Man said...

I hear you're coming back to Scotland for a visit next week. PLEASE pack more carefully than you did for Eastbourne! (you're not borrowing any of ours!) Seeyou next week maybe?