Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Imax.....

Today's been very cool.....

We had our first Kids Club trip and we visited the i-max cinema to watch 'Lions of the Kalahari'. What a brilliant event it turned out to be after i had lost my glasses, cleaned up sick and facilitated a mental game of 'duck duck goose'. I remember when i was at primary school and we had school trips. Teachers were so organised they had everything under control. We on the other hand were a group of eight young people with the kids of twenty parents learning how to do an outing for the first time.....

When H told me he needed to go to the toilet i could tell by the colour of his face that it wasn't because he needed a pee. Scared that he would be sick all over the pizza i rushed him to the nearest toilet where he did the inevitable. I hadn't been expecting that! His mum works across the road so we went to get her. She arrived and told us he was fine and so we carried on with the day. As soon as his mum left I saw him go to the toilet. When he returned i asked him if he had been sick again? He informed me he hadn't! I wasn't so sure and so i went to the toilet because i knew he wouldn't have flushed it away....in the toilet i found the inevitable and returned to tell H that he would need to go home. It was a real shame because he didn't want to leave. I knew to check the toilet because once when were at a football centre he needed a pee and so i showed him where the toilets were. I also needed so i went after he had gone and found that he had actually peed in a shower! I decided to use the toilet....

When we arrived at the imax i needed to go to the toilet (a theme appearing here) and so i asked S aged five to hold my glasses (i dont know why i couldn't just have taken my glasses to the toilet!!). When i returned the glasses had gone and S didn't have a clue where they were! Just as i started looking the film started and i had to wait until the end before i could find them. I did find them..... crushed up against the chairs in front!

As for Duck Duck Goose, well its always mental no matter who's playing....there's always one kid who slips whilst trying to run round the circle at full speed! I think today i learned that despite difficulties these kids have cemented themselves in my heart. The longer i work with them the more i see their potential. For weeks we've been working on passing at football training and the kids just weren't getting it! But last night i watched as three of the boys passed the ball from one end of the pitch to the other and then scored....the feeling inside was amazing, like i had just overcome the greatest of challenges. As i tied my shoes this morning i started thinking how great it was that we were working with kids of age 7+ because as long as their living in this community we'll be involved in supporting and encouraging them.....Even just walking home from the imax today was brilliant....being out of the centre you see the kids in a different light.

I thought i'd add some pictures of me working.... in case it was in question i actually did work.

No comments: