Monday, September 25, 2006

It's all happening

And so it begin's... I've been thrust straight into the Oasis Network. Missed my train on Friday morning to London (becuase of a delayed train not becuase of my error) and it all seemed to be going badly. I was anxious enough already and missing my train brought me to the brink of quitting before i'd even left the country (joke). The introduction of some very helpful train conductors got me on another train....and on my way to London.

Arrived safe and tired at around 5pm.... got a cab to the church and walked inside. The place was buzzing with activity (in anticipation of Oasis 21st Birthday Party the next day). I had a cup of tea, met lot's of people and was shown round the corner to my accommodation. I'm living in an old health centre, my bedroom is an old treatment room. It's noisy but nice and as time goes on i'll become more and more accustomed to it. That night i played football with young people from the local community and i'm glad to say they were impressed. This has helped me break down barriers very quickly and earn some respect. As i know, gaining young people's respect is the first step to building constructive relationships. I was tired after football and so retired to my room....slept like a log, despite the constant roar of vans and police car's (very different to Craigie Road).

Saturday i helped out at the birthday party.... i have photo's which i'll post when i can. I met simon thomas ex blue peter presenter (and christian) and also Diane Louise Jordan. There were about 400 people in total at the church. Prior to the Birthday party me and my team had, had our official introduction to the church and i was asked to be interviewed. This came as a shock but also a nice opportunity to overcome any fears about speaking in front of my new congreagation.

Today i have just finished my first day of work, we had training in the morning looking at our impressions of Jesus'. Who is he to us.....? It was nice to get some of those thoughts out there. For example, Was jesus good looking? And did jesus have a home? In a relaxed atmosphere we laughed and debated such issues. The work is going to be slow in taking off, manily becuase we're going to have to come up with the work ourselves. But the potential for work in the community is already exciting. Discussion has already considered a advocacy service and a home help service.

Overall, arrival here has been smooth. At times i feel a little unsure and a little lost but i've made so many friends. To get me through the year that's all i really need.

1 comment:

Stevie G said...

Good to hear that your journey to the 'Big Smoke' started well and that you have already met minor celebrities. Obviously your blog spelling and football skills will improve over time.
Keep Safe
Stevie G