Friday, October 27, 2006

It's good to walk (like the phone advert "it's good to talk"....) ha ha

I like to think that I’m a good navigator (others who have been victim to my navigation might disagreee). This morning I had to be in a school for 9am to do some mentoring work with an 11 year old boy. In Perth most journeys made can be done on foot so I’m still in this frame of mind where I feel I can walk most places. Slowly I’m learning that in London the distances between places are far greater (that’s why they have such an effective public transport system). At times my reluctance to use public transport proves to be a hindrance but it can also be an advantage. Some colleagues have found my walking approach inspirational - expressing that too often they use the underground for short journeys. On the other hand as I mentioned it can be a hinderence because I find myself walking extreme distances to get places. On foot there is always the chance you’ll take a wrong turn…. For example I found myself walking this morning quite confident I knew where I was going. I knew as soon as I got on the Old Kent Road it was a straight journey. Problem was… couldn’t find the Old Kent Road only the New Kent Road. Turns out that the Old Kent Road is the New Kent road…. This was explained to me by the bemused londoner I stopped to ask!

1 comment:

That Hideous Man said...

You make Perth sound like a quiet, tranquil, tiny little hamlet without any social problems! If only!!