Monday, January 29, 2007

Chocolate as an approach to relieving the grieving

London is a lonely place, anyone who has moved here would tell you that. I've benefitted from being part of a team moving into a new place together and so not experienced loneliness as other might. The reason i mention this is because recently i've seen example of London's loneliness. One example is my team-mate. She had received some bad news through a letter and sat crying on a bus. In a bus full of people nobody approached to ask if she was okay. Even the person sat beside her showed no response to her emotion.

Then on the train last wednesday me and my friend Dan watched as girl said goodbye to her friends and then burst into tears as they walked off the train. Dan and I had been at a concert and on the way to the train picked up some chocolate. Dan asked me if we should offer the girl some to cheer her up. We were both so moved by her grief that we felt we had to do something (surely that's the natural human response!). So after a couple of minutes i took the kinder bueno out my pocket and approached the girl. As i got close i said "i see your upset so i wanted to give you this to cheer you up....it's both nutritious and delicious". The girl smiled and took the chocolate. I returned to my seat smiling. Me and Dan watched as she ate the chocolate and her grief turned to happiness. Once the chocolate had been consumed she turned to us and said "thankyou, that's cheered me up no end". It was a really nice moment.

Spontaneous good deeds is something we should all take the opportunity to do. Although it takes a small step on our part to overcome our inhibitions it has the potential to change someone's day. No one should ever sit on a bus and cry without being offered some form of reassurance. I hope that you agree with me.




Kinder Bueno: Now the chocolate bar associated with spontaneous good deeds......mmmmm

4 comments:

That Hideous Man said...

Yes - I do agree! And what's more, next time I see you I shall weep profusely in hope of chocolate .....(btw I prefer Dairy Milk)

Anonymous said...

Totally agree. I wonder what stops us outwardly showing that compassion (although we might feel it inside)? Fear of rejection? Fear of stirring up old hurts and emotions in ourself? Worth the risk, I think. It's a bit of an "I'm all right, Jack" world at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Lucky girl. If it had been me, I would have preferred a crisp (cheese and onion if there is a choice) because chocolate gives me spots. I would have found it hard to resist such a kind gesture and would have eaten the chocolate, got spots and felt even more depressed!

Anonymous said...

Just a thought. Was the recipient of the sweet treat young and pretty and would the chocolate have been shared with somebody less fortunate in the age and looks department ie. old and ugly (if such a thing as ugly really exists?)