Monday, January 22, 2007

New experiences are a good thing but I wouldn't like to be hit by a car

If you ever want to experience something then come to London. I believe that the people responsible for advertising London around the world could really market the city with the slogan ‘experience everything in London’. Obviously that’s a weak statement because I’m not even sure of everything that there is to experience but I’m pretty sure that you can do it in London.

I’ve had experiences in London that I wouldn’t have gotten in Perth. For example eating Jamaican food (seriously it’s some of the best food I’ve ever had, jerk chicken or even just rice and peas with jerk sauce). Maybe that’s a bad example because someone in Perth could make Jamaican food. My point is that I’ve been opened up to so many different cultures and it’s a really wonderful experience. Often I sit on the bus into work and try to work out where the different languages being spoken are from.

The reason I’m writing about experiences is because I had a very new one yesterday. I was leaving the centre heading to the post office to post a letter (obviously! Although I could have been going for a chicken mayo baguette, only £1.99). As I fixed my headphones into my ears I looked up to see a car screech to a halt and man bounce up onto the bonnet and then smack onto the road. First onto the scene I pulled out my phone and called an ambulance. By the time I got through to the right people I was beside the man. He was conscious but obviously in real pain. It was really hard to speak to the emergency people because the traffic hadn’t stopped and the vehicles passing were really noisy. I explained to the man that I was calling an ambulance and they would be with us soon. The driver of the car was standing over the man looking very concerned. Another pedestrian had come running over when it happened and he began to speak to the injured man. He asked him where he felt pain etc. Within about two minutes of my call the Police, the Ambulance and the Fire Brigade joined us. I had to give a statement to the police about what I saw (from what people were saying the man had walked out in front of the car from behind a truck). I told them I only saw the collision.

The man was taken to hospital and we were reassured he would be fine. Then I went to the post office to post my letter and I was more careful than normal when I had to cross roads.

2 comments:

That Hideous Man said...

So will you be called as a witness by the police or the drivers insurance then?

Oh - the Caribbean food sounds great. I used to help at a youth project in Battersea, and down there we used to get the most fantastic foods - which as you say are in short supply in Perth!

Anonymous said...

That sounds really distressing Andrew but you did the right thing. It's not always easy to know to do the obvious so quickly. Well done you