Friday, May 04, 2007

preaching a nervous encouragement

A week gone without one Blog....poor show on my part. The reason for my written absence is nerves as this Sunday i have been asked to preach/speak at the main service. An honour i never thought I'd get and an honour that makes me very nervous. Mentally I've been preparing for it all week but practically only today have i had time to sit down and really flesh out what it is i will say.

Worst case scenario is that i commit heresy in front of the congregation and never get asked to speak again. Best case scenario is that i do well and share the glory of having spread a strong practical message - therefore furthering God's kingdom. I will also have the honour of having preached on the same stage as Steve Chalke, Tony Blair and the Bishop of Durham.

Beneath the nerves i am excited by this opportunity.

3 comments:

That Hideous Man said...

Brilliant! I've heard you preaching before (youth camp last year, remember?) so I'm sure you'll be fine!

Anyway - nerves are good. Actually the fact that you feel vulnerable as you stand up can draw people towards you - especially people who don't feel confident themselves and are put off by speakers who look 100% self assured. Spiritually it makes you more conscious of depending on God, which helps you to pray more as you prepare. And anything that does that is good!

I'm away hillwalking on Sunday (despite the weather forecast!) but I'll remember to pray for you as we begin our ascent of the Cuillin!

Let us know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Hey good luck with the preaching. You will be totally fine. Iam sure you have something interesting and practical to say.
Bit different from PBC Camp but hey your moving up in the world. Dont forget where you come from when your famous.
Hope your well, from your Middle East travelling friend.

That Hideous Man said...

Well, how did it go