Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Brixton is a great place.....in the morning!

I always get worried about my trek home to Brixton at night.....Throughout my whole time living there i have witnessed little of the horror stories that have embedded themselves into my head. Daily i am offered drugs and the Police presence often makes you think that something has happened. (just to clarify i have rejected all offers of drugs!). When we first arrived in Brixton there was a sign at the end of the street asking for evidence regards a fatal stabbing but since then i have not heard of anything. No matter how much time i exist in safety i will always be affected by the fairy tales that are attached to Brixton. Fairy tales of gang riots, muggings and shootings.....The reality is that the crime exists within gang circles and the muggings happen as often as in any other city. If your stupid enough to walk home through brixton at 3am then you may be mugged......Despite my safety I don't think i'll ever feel truly comfortable in Brixton!

However, in the Morning Brixton is just buzzing with activity.....i really like leaving the house to join the other ten thousand people heading into the centre of London. At the Bus Stop i await the number 59 and watch as a continuous line of people walks past me. It was only this morning that it really struck me how difficult it was to get from one side of the pavement to the other. My team-mate Steve was standing on the other side of the pavement and in order to get to him i had to time my move to perfection. In order to dodge the next person i had to be sharp, silky and a little cheeky. People were flying by at an incredible rate (faster than the average 5mph for a walking person) obviously focused on their journey to work. I noticed a gap in the line of people traffic and made a move......out of no where a pram appeared (yes, without a parental driver) and i was forced back into my position. Undefeated i steadied myself to make another move across the pavement and next time was more successful. So overcome with my achievement that i hugged Steve and he hugged me.....we had done it!

Although a little dramatic the above highlights one of my biggest frustrations about London. How i long for days where i can walk or cycle to work.....oh and if you get a chance to see the film 'freedom writers' do it. I took my Oliver twist esc mentee to see it today and it was great. Educational yet inspiring.

No comments: