Thursday, March 22, 2007

so who are.....? i'm a church volunteer!

I'm doing this really exciting piece of family work at the moment which I'm really enjoying. I'm enjoying being involved in a crisis situation. That might sound strange enjoying somebody else's crisis but it's the buzz that i enjoy most about people work. I really like the communication between different workers and piecing together how we can improve this families situation. Obviously i can't go into much detail about the circumstances because of confidentiality but i can say that this family has been victim to gang crime and have decided to leave their council home. This has led to many issues for them, namely the threat of being classed as intentionally homeless. If this happens they would certainly struggle to find housing in the future.

Because of a gang related incident one of the children is now in hospital. I had arranged to meet the mother in the hospital to discuss the options available to her. The walk to the destination went well and i was very impressed with how quickly the green man appeared as i waited to cross roads. Inside the hospital i was also successful at navigating my way to the Children's ward. However, once there i found some obstacles. Two women were sat at the security desk and neither of them possessed welcoming smiles. As i approached the desk i felt neither confident or very able to describe why i was in fact there. As i explained who i wanted to see both women continued to give me a blank unimpressed look. After my introduction one of them asked if i had the patients date of birth and i said 'no'. This wasn't a piece of information I'd asked the mother for. Had the women asked, i could have told them the patients address or surname but without the date of birth it seemed i was going no where. I tried to pull out the trust me I'm a nice young man with a nice smile and nice accent card but again i was greeted with secure looking security staff faces. I was beginning to feel really worried because it looked more and more certain that i wouldn't be allowed in and therefore i would be breaking my commitment of meeting the mother (although i do it, i hate letting people down....especially blow up people). I decided as a last ditch attempt to convince the guards of my genuine position i would call the mother. However, her phone was engaged and i was quickly asked to leave and next time to arrive with the appropriate and essential information.

On leaving the hospital i considered my position. I mean, to the security staff i was just a community centre worker.....i had no position of authority or declared responsibility. This i felt was very frustrating because if i was approaching the same situation as a positioned social worker i probably wouldn't have the same problems. I would have an identification card, a smart bag and probably the confidence of being an established family support worker. Instead i was a twenty three year old male, dressed casually and looking very out of his depth (when i reality wasn't) because i didn't feel confident about my role. I love the Church i work for and it's ethos but the part of work I'm trying to establish (advocacy and support) is a tough challenge because currently i have no professional authority. Some might say that this kind of authority is irrelevant if you care but i don't think care alone is enough....in order to find out certain information you need to be someone who's title speaks for itself. I'm sure that people's perception of me changes once we've chatted but at first glance they must think how can this young church worker have any relevant involvement in a Caribbean family's life. I've had this discussion with people throughout my years of people work and still feel that once i have a few grey hairs I'll be more accepted in this people work environment. My role now is to show that despite my few years experience i care a whole lot about the welfare of people in this world and my feeling that this passion entitles me to be where i am. It may be that in years to come my passion is substituted for my experience....I hope not.

On my way home i received a call from the mother explaining that in fact she had not been in the hospital when we had arranged to meet!

No comments: