Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Stray shots and direct punches

I can quite confidently declare that my youth and children work skills are improving while I'm here....it may not appear that way as i stand shouting at a group of thirty kids who don't appear to be listening to me. This has happened on many occasions. I have also been victim to shouting louder than i've ever shouted in an attempt to try and regain some control of a room full of kids. Whenever this happens i think to myself 'that's what I'll be like when I'm a dad'. Its the fact that my skills are being challenged that tells me I'm improving.

For example, tonight at football i tried in vain to remain positive and encouraging throughout the session. However, as soon as we stepped into the sports hall i failed - J decides not to work on his passing and instead decides to shoot at the wall, eventually hitting F in the face with a volatile left footed volley....seeing only the injured child and the culprit i instantly roar at J to sit out for two minutes so i can speak to him once i've dealt with the injury. Meanwhile T has gone in the huff because he can't do the passing exercise and C has run out of the building because S punched him....That's a normal night.

Under those kind of conditions and my people skills stretched to their max i can only be getting better at crisis intervention....or maybe my physical health is taking some severe punishment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A social worker that shouts........! How did that make them feel? When I was in the boy scouts, the leader put his hand in the air and we all stood to attention within seconds. Hey man, changed days, or just changed kids?